This guide is for users of our inMotion Classic platform who are migrating their work data into ignite. If you're importing new work items into your ignite account, please use this guide.
Here are the steps involved with migrating data from inMotion Classic to inMotion ignite:
- We will provide you with an export of your Classic work data
- You will prepare your ignite account and import your Classic data into ignite
- We will automatically copy project files from your Classic account to the newly-imported work in your ignite account within 7 days of the import
Getting Your Migration Data
Contact our Customer Success team (email@example.com) to receive an export of your inMotion Classic account data. You will receive a project export CSV that looks something like this:
Once you have your project export, use that same file to import that project and task history into your ignite account.
The import limit is 500,000 rows of data.
Readying Your Data and ignite Account
In order to successfully migrate your project and task data, there are a few things to check to ensure the process runs smoothly.
- Do not change any values in the Project ID column. Project ID is what we use to match your inMotion Classic files to your new inMotion ignite account and your tasks to their associated projects.
- Ensure all users from your Classic account who you want to carry over have been added into your ignite account.
- If you're pulling in work item history with users who are no longer active and want their names attached to your historical work data, add those users in ignite, then deactivate them once you've imported your work items.
- Otherwise, if it's not important to have those users' names attached to the projects and tasks they worked on, delete their emails from the Project Owner and/or Assigned Users fields, or replace them with an existing user.
Custom Fields, Custom Work Statuses, and Tags
- Ensure that any custom fields and custom work statuses being referenced in your Classic account export have also been added to your ignite account. If you use Dropdown custom fields, make sure the dropdown options also match in your ignite account.
- Tags do not have to be added to your ignite account beforehand; any tags that you add to your Classic project export will automatically be added into your ignite account when your data is migrated.
Work that You Don't Want to Import
- If there are any projects or tasks you don't want to import to ignite, delete those rows from your Classic project export. If you delete a project but not its associated tasks, those tasks will be imported to ignite as standalone tasks that are not part of a project.
If you run into any errors when importing your Classic work item export, use the troubleshooting guide in this article.
Migrating Your Data
Once you've got all your Classic data ready, go to Projects, then click Add Project, then IMPORT on the "Create Project" modal.
From here, upload your CSV to the "Create Project" modal and click Import Work. By default, the "Send email to users assigned to import work" option will be checked, but if you do not want those users to receive email notifications for these projects or tasks, uncheck the box before clicking Import Work.